CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tradition

This past weekend was Labor Day weekend - traditionally "the last weekend" of summer, even though autumn does not technically begin until mid-September.  Here in Boston, the weather has agreed with that premise - today and yesterday have been cool and rainy, definitely not summer like.  But Labor Day weekend was hot and humid...and I was lucky enough to spend it with my family.

When I was pregnant with Conor, Frank and I walked the WHOLE city on July 1st, 2006 in hopes of inducing labor...did it work? Who knows...but my labor did start late that night.  And Conor Edward was welcomed into the world two days later on July 3rd, 2006. One of the places we walked to was the Public Gardens to see Make Way for Ducklings and ride the Swan Boats.  Labor Day weekend 2006, we brought wee little Conor, only two months old, on the T, into Boston for his first meet and greet with Mama Mallard and to ride the boats. And a tradition was born.  For the past five years, we have hopped on the red line, ridden to Charles, get off and walk up to the Gardens, to sit and take photos on the bronze ducks and take a jaunt on the boats. Then we get some lunch. And this year, instead of three, we were four.

Little Rowan got to sit on Mama Mallard, ride the boat, and enjoy lunch - well, okay, she just watched us eat burritos. I wanted to post photos from the weekend...and the past five Labor Days, but who knows where my USB cable is?  And I left the camera in Rowan's room (I was sneaking a sleep picture during nap time) and I don't dare go in to get it...so the photos will have to wait until another day.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Very sweet. I love your little traditions.

Post a Comment